Reports 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says Organisation June 3, 2021 Find out more News to go further News Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Americas Reporters Without Borders (RSF), the National Press Club, and the Newseum Institute condemn United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP)’s decision to deny Mexican journalist Martin Mendez entry into the US for several high-level meetings in Washington, DC this week. The undersigned view this decision as an attempt to silence Mendez and prevent him from telling his story to the American people. RSF_en Receive email alerts United StatesMexicoAmericas Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Organized crimeCorruptionViolence United StatesMexicoAmericas Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Organized crimeCorruptionViolence Despite presenting a detailed list of high-level meetings and events that Mexican journalist Martin Mendez Pineda was scheduled to attend this week in Washington, DC, United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) denied Mendez’ request to enter the country on Sunday, September 10.“I am angry and disappointed that I was not able to attend the events with everyone in Washington D.C. this week,” Mendez told RSF. “I was very much looking forward to sharing my experiences as a journalist in Mexico and as someone whose threat to safety has been ignored by the United States Immigration officials. I lost the only job I was able to find in Mexico, while remaining in hiding, in order to have the opportunity to attend these events, which would’ve allowed me to discuss the dangers journalists face throughout the world and which I currently face in Mexico right now.”Mendez, a former reporter for Novedades Acapulco in Guerrero, Mexico, where he received threats after writing a story about local police violence, had attempted to seek asylum in the US in the spring of 2017 without success. He filed a legal application at the US border on February 5, but was immediately taken into detention by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Despite passing his credible fear interview on March 1, he was twice denied a request for parole pending his asylum determination and remained in detention at various ICE facilities for more than three months. Due to the deplorable conditions of his detention and concerns for his health, Mendez ultimately decided to withdraw his asylum request and return to Mexico, though he remains in hiding to this day.RSF had been working with the Newseum Institute and Digital Content Next to include Mendez in a Wednesday panel discussion covering what it’s like for reporters to do their job in an increasingly threatening environment. RSF had also worked with Carlos Spector, an immigration attorney in El Paso, on requesting entry for Mendez into the country for the Newseum event, several other high profile meetings with the US Congress, the US Department of State, as well as a panel discussion on Mexico’s dangers for journalists at the National Press Club Monday night.“We are saddened and quite frankly upset that Martin was not able to be with us in person for the meetings and events we had arranged for him this week,” said Margaux Ewen, Advocacy and Communications Director for RSF’s North America bureau. “Martin’s story is a harrowing one, and he most certainly deserved to tell it in person to those who could potentially offer a solution. The American people also deserve to know what has happened to him for shedding light on police violence and corruption in Mexico. Just across the US’ southern border lies one of the deadliest countries for journalists in the world, and what happens there should interest America as much as anything that’s happening at home.” “The case of Martin Mendez illustrates how far the United States has fallen from its once-high post as a beacon of press freedom,” said Jeffrey Ballou, President of the National Press Club. This reporter did everything by the book — obtaining a US attorney, entering the country legally and applying for asylum as he did so. Despite that, and despite the fact that US immigration authorities found he had a “credible fear” of returning to Mexico, he has been treated as a criminal by the country that should have sheltered him. Refusing to allow him to speak about his case at the National Press Club is the latest insult — not only to Martin, but to all working journalists. It also suggests immigration authorities are embarrassed to have this discussed. They should be.”“Threats to journalists worldwide, and particularly today in Mexico, need to be disclosed, documented and discussed in democratic societies,” said Gene Policinski, chief operating officer of the Newseum Institute. “Refusing entry to the U.S. for a limited number of days to reporter Martin Mendez – who faces death threats in Mexico – to participate in a program at the Newseum on the dangers to journalists worldwide is counter-productive to alerting the public to those dangers, and sends the wrong message to those repressive and criminal forces who would harass, threaten, injure or kill those journalists who bravely speak truth to power.” Mexico is the western hemisphere’s most dangerous country for journalists. More than 100 journalists have been killed in Mexico since 2000, and 20 have disappeared. So far in 2017, at least 8 journalists have been murdered in connection with their work. Due to a climate of impunity in the country, RSF has only been able to confirm 4 of those killed were in direct relation to their work as journalists. Mexico is ranked 147th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. The United States is ranked 43rd. WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists September 13, 2017 – Updated on September 14, 2017 Threatened Mexican journalist not allowed to enter United States June 7, 2021 Find out more News May 13, 2021 Find out more
EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS Subscribe faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyCitizen Service CenterPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Business News Name (required) Mail (required) (not be published) Website Sports PCC Men Basketball’s Deandro Worrell Signs with McMurry University From PCC LANCER ATHLETICS Published on Monday, March 30, 2020 | 6:41 pm Herbeauty7 Most Startling Movie Moments We Didn’t Realize Were InsensitiveHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyAmazing Sparks Of On-Screen Chemistry From The 90-sHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyHere’s What Experts Say Women Want In A ManHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyWant To Seriously Cut On Sugar? You Need To Know A Few TricksHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty10 Of The Most Notorious Female Spies In HistoryHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty10 Questions To Start Conversation Way Better Than ‘How U Doing?’HerbeautyHerbeauty Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena Make a comment Top of the News More Cool Stuff Lancer Deandro Worrell signed a scholarship with McMurry University (photo by Michael Watkins)Pasadena City College men’s basketball sophomore forward-center Deandro Worrell has signed to continue his playing/educational career with NCAA Division III McMurry University in Abline, Tx. For Worrell, it’s going back to his home state of Texas for the two-year letterman as the 6-foot-6 talent originally came to PCC from El Dorado High in El Paso.Worrell averaged 8.2 points and a team-leading 9.1 rebounds a game, fourth in the South Coast Conference. His 61.1 percent field goal shooting efficiency (99 of 162 attempts) was second in the 11-team SCC. Worrell raised his play in the eight North Division games when he averaged 9.5 points, 13.4 rebounds and 2 assists per contest, helping the Lancers finish 5-3 in a tie for second place with LA Trade Tech in the division.One of Worrell’s best games was in an overtime loss at Compton as he scored a career-high 23 points, making 10 of 12 from the floor, and grabbed 17 rebounds. He twice had 20 rebound games in conference play and blocked seven shots in a win over Rio Hondo. Nicknamed “DJ”, he recorded eight double-doubles in points and rebounds. Worrell also was 10th in the state and second in the SCC in blocked shots with a 2.0 average.Over two seasons, the post player totaled 325 rebounds and appeared in 55 games. Raising his level of play as a sophomore, Worrell played in all 28 games (started 24) for the 2019-2020 Lancers under head coach Michael Swanegan.At McMurry, Worrell will play as a junior for the War Hawks in the American Southwest Conference in 2020-2021. 191 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Community News Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Community News STAFF REPORT Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy STAFF REPORT First Heatwave Expected Next Week CITY NEWS SERVICE/STAFF REPORT Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m.