THE Institute of Sports (INSPORTS) Community Football League, widely known as the ‘Ghetto World Cup’, is set to kick off next month. The popular competition had its initial staging in 2009 and spread like wildfire, as the number of participating teams doubled for the islandwide championship. “It is one of the most popular competitions that we’ve ever launched,” noted Ian Andrews, INSPORTS’ administrative director. The last instalment got under way in 2014, but Andrews explained that due to demand, plus other contingent factors such as a massive swell in participation, the institute had to halt proceedings and re-work its strategy. Andrews said: “The number of teams doubled within a year, so the demand pushed up the costs.” Through rising demand, the communities have somewhat formed a partnership with the state agency to carry the tournament, which lost its sponsor with the Claro pullout. “The clubs and teams have agreed that they would help us,” said Andrews. “One such area is to share the cost for the officials.” He added: “The communities have been clamouring for it, in fact the entire country … but we?re doing it parish by parish and we’re just continuing what we started last year. We’re going to start sometime next month.” As he addressed over 30 Corporate Area teams that attended a meeting for updates on the competition – at Tinson Pen playing field – last Saturday, Andrews said the agency expects to invest over $28m into the League, which will impact over 500 communities across the length and breadth of the nation. He also thanked those in attendance for their patience over the period of stoppage and promised an exciting finish to the League. The expenditure, he said, would cover several components including uniforms, playing field development and preparation for games, training and salaries of match officials, certification of coaches and match balls. Added value came through initial partnerships with the National Council for Drug Abuse and Jamaica Foundation for Lifelong Learning, which targeted and engaged the ?unattached youth? in the communities as a means of fostering holistic development. Now, without sponsorship, the INSPORTS official said they will have to explore other channels. Still, Andrews vowed not to lower the League’s standards. “It was one of our flagship competitions,” he said. “We made it very clear that our thing was not a ‘Bush League’, but something to empower the communities, to get them playing together and give them something of worth.”
The games will be at the Pomeroy Sport Centre and there will be a raffle table with prizes up for grabs. Some of the prizes to be on include IPads, barbecues, fire pits, gift baskets, gift cards, and toys. Draws will be done today and tomorrow so there will be different prizes each day.The FSJMHA encourages the public to come down and support young local athletes.- Advertisement –
Halle Berry has an Emmy, a Golden Globe and an Oscar. Now she has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. A teary-eyed Berry’s star was unveiled as the 2,333rd plaque on the Walk of Fame in a ceremony Tuesday in front of the Kodak Theatre. “I am so emotional. … As soon as I saw the crowds of people and friends here, I started to cry,” she said. Berry, a Cleveland native, won the Academy Award as top actress in 2001 for her role alongside Billy Bob Thornton in “Monster’s Ball.” She won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for her title role in “Introducing Dorothy Dandridge.” “This beautiful woman is a triple threat – an old-fashioned bombshell and, like my mom would say, a good egg,” said Tom Rothman, chairman and chief executive of Fox Filmed Entertainment. Berry, 40, co-stars with Bruce Willis in the upcoming film, “Perfect Stranger,” to open April 13. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — For local area motorists, another busy Christmas Shopping weekend provided new evidence that the drop in Fort St. John retail gasoline prices is lagging far behind the rest of the country and certainly the continent.The most common posted price in the city settled at a 115.9 cents a litre, at all of the eight filling stations checked in a late Sunday morning monitor.That was higher than the provincial average, even though it had increased slightly to a 111.1, and it was also well above the national average at only 98.8 cents a litre.- Advertisement -The low end price in the province was once again at the Prince George Costco, but it had also advanced to 90.9 cents a litre, and, prices everywhere in BC were notably higher than most posted by Gas Buddy for the Prairies.The low-end B.C. price in Prince George was nearly 15 cents a litre higher than the Alberta low end price of 76.9, in North Edmonton, but even though the Alberta average had dropped to 86.3 cents a litre, it still wasn’t the lowest among the provinces — an honour belonging to Manitoba at 85 cents.Meantime, the aforementioned B.C. average was still the highest among the provinces, and nearly six cents above the Quebec average, which was the only other provincial average above 98 cents a litre, at a 105.4 cents.Advertisement According to the Gas Buddy survey, the top end BC price, was 129.9 and among the stations included with that post were the Charlie Lake Tempo and the Fort Nelson FasGas.It was also 22 cents a litre higher than the low end price in the B.C. Peace of a 107.9 at the Petro Canada outlet in Dawson Creek, but you had to go across the border to find the major Peace Region saving as the Grande Prairie Costco weekend post was 80.9 cents litre.And speaking of going across the border, if you’re one of those Canadians who has a second home in the U.S. where it rarely snows — like Arizona — then this might be the year to focus on holiday season bargains and consider foregoing a White Christmas because according to the latest U.S. monitor the average price you’ll pay there is 54.2 cents liter — less than half the posted price here.
Conte had rested the likes of Eden Hazard and N’Golo Kante, with half an eye on next week’s Champions League last 16 encounter against Barcelona.But after such an emphatic victory, Conte admits he now has plenty to ponder for the visit of the La Liga leaders.“For sure it was a positive night for us because we had the opportunity to rest important players, key players for us,” Conte told BT Sport.“But at the same time I saw players in good form. To have a lot of doubts before the Barcelona game is important, because I have different options. Now we have three days to decide on them.”Willian, in particular, made his case for a place in the starting XI against Barca after capping an all-round impressive display with two goals.“For sure, his performance was impressive,” added Conte.“I hope to see always this type of performance because, when Willy plays in this way, it is a great joy for me, the team, the club and our fans.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte (C) has said a hectic schedule is stretching his squad to breaking pointLONDON, United Kingdom, Feb 17 – Antonio Conte admits he has a selection dilemma on his hands for Chelsea’s Champions League tie against Barcelona after routing Hull City in the FA Cup.The Premier League champions impressed in their 4-0 fifth round win over the Championship strugglers, with Olivier Giroud netting his first Chelsea goal and Willian grabbing a brilliant brace.
Choctaw Indian Waylon Gary White DeerA unique famine commemoration walk will take place in Co Donegal this Sunday.Action from Ireland (Afri) announces the first Ballyshannon Famine Walk, in conjunction with the Ballyshannon Regeneration Group, is to be held as part of National Heritage Week. Beginning at 2:15 pm.The walk will proceed from the Famine workhouse in Ballyshannon to the Famine graveyard behind St Annes Church, where a lecture by well known historian Anthony Begley will highlight the afternoon’s activities. “The walk is to honour the memory of Ireland’s Famine dead, and in remembering, to help heal” said Choctaw Indian Waylon Gary White Deer, an Afri organiser.In 1847, the Choctaw donated monies from “meagre resources” to feed Irish Famine victims.“We will also be walking to show solidarity with those who still hunger in a world of plenty” Maire Nic Fhearraigh, another organiser added.“And we are very pleased to be working with the Ballyshannon Regeneration Group, who are hosting this important event” There are no fees for the walk or the lecture, and the public is cordially invited to participate.CHOCTAW INDIAN TO LEAD OFF DONEGAL FAMINE WALK was last modified: August 25th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
TWO brothers in their 50s have been returned for trial to the Central Criminal Court in Dublin charged with rape and sexual assault.The men, cannot be named in order to protect the identity of the alleged victims, were served with books of evidence in the case at Letterkenny District Court today.One man is charged with 13 counts of rape and sexual assault between 1999 and 2003. The other brother faced one charge of rape and six charges of sexual assault. Those offences are alleged to have taken place between 1999 and 2000 and 2012.Judge Paul Kelly released both men on continuing bail.They will appear again at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin on April 27.BROTHERS SENT FOR TRIAL TO CENTRAL CRIMINAL COURT ON MULTIPLE SEX ASSAULT CHARGES was last modified: April 16th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtdonegallettterkennyrape charges
Former Letterkenny Rovers youth star Dale Gorman made his professional bow in English football last night when he appeared as a substitute in the Capital One Cup clash between Stevenage and Ipswich Town.Gorman had made a number of appearances for Teddy Sheringham’s side during pre-season and impressed the former Manchester United star.Sheringham praised Gorman’s performance against Spurs and says he was a talented player with a bright future. Gorman was an unused substitute for their league opener on Saturday.However, the talented midfielder was sprung from the bench at half-time last night.Stevenage exited the competition after suffering a 2-1 defeat to Ipswich Town but Gorman again impressed when he made his introduction.Gorman’s father Anthony had a fine career in both the LOI and Irish League where he played for a whole host of clubs. He won a number of league titles during his spell at Belfast giants Linfield FC.As the old saying goes the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree.Well done Dale and hopefully it’s the first of many appearances in English football.DELIGHT FOR DALE GORMAN AS HE MAKES HIS COMPETITIVE DEBUT FOR STEVENAGE was last modified: August 12th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:newsSport
Former Donegal minor star Danny Rodgers was in reflective mood today after he helped Keadue Rovers FC earn a share of the spoils against Bonagee United.This time last year Rodgers played for Donegal in the All-Ireland minor final which they narrowly lost to Kerry.Rodgers was also eligible to play for the Donegal minors again this year and had aspirations they could go one better. Many had felt Donegal had the squad to go on and win another Ulster title and possibly an All-Ireland.However, Declan Bonner’s side fell to a shock defeat to Derry in the Ulster MFC semi-final and exited the competition.Derry went on to win Ulster but lost their semi-final to eventual winners Kerry who today completely destroyed Tipperary.Rodgers played the full ninety minutes for Keadue on a wet miserable day at Central Park and tweeted that the joys of the Donegal League beats Croker every time! Rodgers tweeted, “Grinding out a 4-4 result with Keadue beats playing in Croker any day!PLAYING IN THE DONEGAL LEAGUE BEATS CROKER EVERY TIME – SAYS DONEGAL MINOR STAR was last modified: September 20th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:newsSport