DOHA, Qatar:International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) President, Sebastian Coe remains confident that this year’s Olympic Games, slated to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil between August 5 and 21, will be a success despite the upheaval currently taking place in the country.It is widely expected that on Wednesday members of the Latin American country’s senate will vote to impeach President Dilma Rousseff. The country is also facing economic challenges and still battling the Zika epidemic.But despite all this, Coe said no consideration is being given to moving the Games.”The Rio Games are going to take place, and I know it will be a success, and our responsibility now, as member federations, international federations and members of the sporting community, is to do everything we can to help the organising committee and make this a great Games,” Coe told The Sunday Gleaner.Coe said that close tabs have been kept on what is going on in the country in terms of preparations for the games and he himself will be journeying there shortly for a firsthand view of things.”Our competition team is regular in Rio,” Coe revealed. “I am going in a couple of weeks’ time to watch the test events in Rio, the Ibero-American Championships in Athletics, so I will get a better feel of how the stadium is working and all those things.”Having been chairman of London’s organising committee for the 2012 Games, Coe says he understands the difficulties involved in planning for one of the world’s biggest events, but believes Brazil will put on a great spectacle.”I know how tough this is and I am sure that Rio will be a good Games and I think they have a spirit that will surprise a lot of people,” Coe firstname.lastname@example.org
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! When completed, the building will house bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs offered by a wide variety of colleges and universities that allow Santa Clarita Valley residents access to advanced degrees on the community college campus. Among the offerings at the center are bachelor degree programs in communications, nursing, criminal justice, psychology, social science and liberal studies; master’s degrees in several areas of education as well as public administration; and professional credential programs. College officials also plan to relocate their Economic Development Department at the Hart Union High School District’s Academy of the Canyons Middle College High School to the new building. Tom Lee, former chief of the Newhall Land and Farming Company, and local businessman Lou Garasi led the fundraising drive for the center and were present for Friday’s ceremony. Rep. Howard “Buck” McKeon, R-Santa Clarita, college President Dianne Van Hook and college board President Michele Jenkins spoke at the event. email@example.com (661) 257-5251 VALENCIA – Construction is due to begin this week on College of the Canyons’ $36million University Center, where several four-year college programs will be offered. The 110,000-square-foot center will replace the temporary digs that now house satellite campuses for four-year institutions including California State University, Northridge; CSU Bakersfield; Chapman University; University of La Verne; and National University. Local dignitaries held a formal groundbreaking Friday on the center, which is being financed by a local bond measure, state and federal resources, and private donations. It is expected to open in 18 months.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventThe question of when Dowie knew about inflating bills and what his role was has come up repeatedly. Former vice president Monique Moret, testifying earlier this month with immunity, said Dowie called her, co-defendant John Stodder and Matt Middlebrook – former Mayor James Hahn’s spokesman – into a meeting after Muir left. She said Stodder confirmed the DWP bills were being inflated and that Dowie asked by how much and whether Muir had any evidence. Muir testified he wrote up some bills at Stodder’s direction for time not worked. He said that after Dowie threatened to sue him for taking business from the firm, he retaliated by saying he would reveal fraudulent billing practices. Tom Holliday, one of Dowie’s attorneys, said all issues raised by prosecutors will be dealt with when the defense begins its case next week. Federal prosecutors’ month-long case against two former Fleishman-Hillard executives culminated Friday with videotaped testimony by the firm’s former head, e-mails referring to “phony hours” by a former colleague and a timeline outlining a hasty effort to scrape up thousands of dollars in extra P.R. billings in early 2003. In a taped deposition in an unrelated civil case, played for the jury, defendant Doug Dowie, formerly head of the firm’s L.A. office, acknowledged that in October 2003 then-senior vice president Fred Muir made accusations “along that line” of Department of Water and Power bills being inflated. “I immediately launched an inquiry,” Dowie said in his deposition in the civil case. When company attorney Mark Beck asked if he had notified his bosses in writing, Dowie answered, “No, I didn’t.” Dowie and Stodder have pleaded not guilty to charges of bilking the city’s Department of Water and Power out of more than $300,000 and overcharging the Port of Los Angeles, architect Frank Gehry’s firm, and the Worldwide Church of God. Prosecutors on Friday showed the jury e-mails from Mark Barnhill, a former Fleishman-Hillard executive who went to work for one of the firm’s clients at the time, Platinum Equity of Beverly Hills. Barnhill complained to Dowie in a September 2002 e-mail that nearly $100,000 in billed work for Platinum had not been authorized or performed. Barnhill, a friend of Dowie’s and co-worker both at the Los Angeles Daily News and Fleishman-Hillard, said in a Jan. 30, 2003, e-mail to Dowie that $75,000 should be written off Platinum’s bill. He called the write-off “charitable,” considering the poor quality of the work and the “phony hours.” Prosecutors also submitted a timeline, bolstered by a flurry of Jan. 6, 2003, e-mails in which Dowie was alerted by a company official that the L.A. office was $59,000 short of its December revenue projections. Dowie e-mailed Stodder, asking how much they could “pad” the DWP account with “ambiguous counseling for the mayor (Hahn)” and two former top-ranking utility officials. “Could it withstand another $30k?” Stodder quickly e-mailed back, “We’ve pretty much done that,” noting that was how the DWP billings had been increased to $239,000 for December. Stodder cautioned that $30,000 seemed like “more than the system could bear.” Dowie e-mailed back in a few minutes, “How much will it bear?” Within 10 minutes, Stodder responded that Moret thought she could slip through another $15,000, which “she’ll add across the board.” “OK let’s do it,” Dowie e-mailed back. The next day, Moret e-mailed Dowie and Stodder that $15,165 had been added to the DWP December billings. FBI agent Dane B. Costley said in reviewing the DWP billing sheets for that month, $25,000 had been added in hand-written entries prior to the string of e-mails. Afterward, he said, about $15,000 in additional hand-written entries were made. The trial continues Tuesday. firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3731160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Letterkenny Town Park. Pic by Northwest Newspix.GARDAÍ seized a bag of cannabis worth €120 during an operation at Letterkenny Town Park, the local court has heard.Stephen Fox, 22, from Glendale Drive in Letterkenny admitted possession of the drug when he appeared before Judge Paul Kelly. The court heard Gda Elaine Gordon was responding to reports of a disturbance and Fox ran off. She saw him throw something away and discovered the cannabis in a hedge during a follow-up search on October 29 last year.Judge Kelly asked Fox: “How can you afford €120 for cannabis?”Fox told the judge he received €188 per week disability benefit but that he hadn’t bought the drugs himself saying he and his friends had “grouped the money together to buy the cannabis.”The judge ordered Fox to pay €150 to St Vincent de Paul as it was his first offence.MAN USED DISABILITY BENEFIT TO BUY BAG OF CANNABIS was last modified: May 29th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtdrugs seizedLetterkenny Town Park
Caoimhin Bonner has committed to Finn Harps for the 2015 season. An uncompromising defender, Bonner has previously been on the books of Kilmarnock and Derry City.Ollie Horgan is happy to have secured the services of Bonner for the coming campaign. “Caoimhin was part of a solid defensive unit last year and we’re delighted he has re-signed for 2015.“We have secured the services of most of our main players from last year and we a solid base to build on, which is exactly what we’ll look to do in the coming weeks”. BONNER COMMITS TO FINN HARPS FOR 2015 SEASON was last modified: December 14th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CAOIMHIN BONNERfinn harps
Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card Chelsea drew their last match 0-0 with Everton Mateo Kovacic is fit and available for selection Chelsea put their unbeaten record and Premier League title credentials on the line when they travel to Wembley Stadium to take on Tottenham Hotspur.While the international break momentarily halted proceedings in the league, the Blues will be keen to lay down a marker with an impressive showing on Saturday, in a match you can listen to live on talkSPORT. BEST OF huge blow MONEY In their last Premier League match, Chelsea were forced to share the points as they drew with Everton at Stamford Bridge.That result allowed Liverpool to climb above Chelsea into second and left the Blues four points behind leaders Manchester City. Spurs are just a point behind in fourth. Chelsea: Kepa, Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Luiz, Alonso, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Pedro, Morata, Hazard LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions no dice 3 Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won 3 3 RANKED Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? ADVICE REVEALED Last season, Chelsea took all three points in the fixture at Wembley courtesy of a Marcos Alonso in a deserved 2-1 win.There are no injury concerns for Chelsea and while there was doubts surrounding the fitness of Mateo Kovacic, he will be available having suffered a muscle strain in midweek.Here is how talkSPORT.com expects Chelsea to line up: REVEALED Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move
THE road at Loughderryduff wind farm has been closed today as heavy equipment is taken to the site.Several lorries are blocking the road, according to the Glenties Windfarm Information Group.There has been no comment from the site’s owners. During a similar incident last month a lorry had to be pulled from the ditch after a wheel became stuck. ROAD CLOSED AS WIND FARM EQUIPMENT ARRIVES was last modified: October 23rd, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ROAD CLOSED AS WIND FARM EQUIPMENT ARRIVES
Donegal has received the go-ahead for a brand new fire engine.Deputy Dinny McGinley, said the announcement is very good news and will make a big difference to local fire fighters.“Donegal’s fire service is receiving a real boost with this announcement of a new fire station engine. This is really good news for residents in Donegal who will see the benefit of this additional fire protection, something we must take very seriously.” The fire engine for Donegal is part of €8 million being distributed to buy appliances and equipment, to build or upgrade fire stations, upgrade the communications and mobilisation system and improve training centres.“Investment in new fire appliances will ensure that the fleet is maintained and will further enhance the capability of the fire services.“As part of this funding, €2 million will be spent on restructuring the Computer Aided Mobilisation Project (CAMP) II infrastructure. The three CAMP stations will be transitioned into a single national CAMP structure which will offer significantly enhanced resilience and better value-for-money. Improvements will also be made to training centres at a cost of €1 million.“This new fire engine will make a big difference to the excellent fire fighters who work extremely hard in Donegal.” NEW FIRE ENGINE FOR DONEGAL FIRE SERVICE was last modified: June 10th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Photographers across Donegal captured these stunning pictures as a blanket of snow settled across the county.Donegal was transformed into a winter wonderland as snow covered the county yesterday and this morning, with photographers seizing the opportunity to photograph Donegal in all it’s snowy splendour.As Met Éireann has lifted their Status Orange snow warning for Donegal, it seems that our white Christmas arrived a little bit too early! Picture by Aidan Spence.Picture by Danny Burke.Picture by Donna Martin.Bluestack Mountains yesterday morning. Picture by Sophie McDaid.Clonmany. Picture by Denise Donaghey.Icicles in Clonmany. Picture by Denise Donaghey.Motorists on the Mongory road near Raphoe in the wintery conditions as more snow is forecasted for Co Donegal. Photo Brian McDaidErrigal this morning. Picture by Tracy McGarvey.Long Lane, Letterkenny. Picture by Tom Reilly.Picture Special: Photographers capture stunning snow-covered Donegal was last modified: December 9th, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalPhotographypicture specialsnowwinter
ARCATA >> During his time as both a head coach and an offensive coordinator in the North Bay, Matt Tomlin became well aware of what Cardinal Newman is all about.Tomlin’s respect for Paul Cronin is about as maxed out as it can get, describing the Cardinals’ longtime head coach and his coaching staff as “the best coaching staff in the entire state of California.”Now for the second straight season, Tomlin’s Crusaders have the chance to bring a section title from the Bay Area back to Eureka. Up a …