U.S. Coal Producers ‘at the Whim of Chinese Policy Makers’

first_imgU.S. Coal Producers ‘at the Whim of Chinese Policy Makers’ FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Wall Street Journal:China’s reemergence as a coal importer has boosted the fortunes of U.S. producers who are now shipping more coal abroad than any time in the last two years.The trend has helped solidify a business that at the beginning of last year was suffering through a spate of bankruptcies and threatened with more. Revenue at publicly traded U.S. coal companies grew 19% in the first half of this year compared with the same period a year ago, and the biggest gains came at companies helped the most by exports, according to data compiled by Doyle Trading Consultants, a coal-market-analysis firm.Market forces, especially China, have a much bigger influence than anything the Trump administration has done, analysts said. While that has worked in the administration’s favor so far, it could also overwhelm its deregulation efforts and put the coal industry into retreat if those factors swing back the other way.The rebound has been so dependent on exports that U.S. producers face a big risk if China undoes last year’s policy changes. Chinese coal production is showing signs of picking up again and the government is starting to block some imports to support domestic miners, researchers at Italian ship broker Banchero Costa said Wednesday. With U.S. year-to-date production up 14% from last year, the specter of oversupply is rising again, analysts said.“When you’re at the whim of Chinese policy makers, it’s not really a great place to be,” said Andy Blumenfeld, head of market analytics at Doyle. “Beyond the first quarter of next year, it becomes very risky.”More: ($) The Big Name in Coal’s Resurgence: Chinalast_img read more

Lufthansa reduces traffic to Croatia

first_imgLufthansa, a member of the Star Alliance group, has not operated on its two seasonal lines since October: from Munich to Pula and Zadar. Although the lines were operating in October, the company stopped operating on them earlier this year due to the impact of the global pandemic or reduced demand, according to Croatian Aviation. Lufthansa will cut off traffic to Adriatic airports earlier than in previous years, and there will be a reduction in the number of weekly flights on the Munich-Zagreb route. Line Munich – Zagreb will operate 17 times a week until October 5; on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. From October 18, there will be only three flights a week on this line, on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Germany’s Lufthansa will drastically reduce the number of operations at Croatian airports by the end of October. Line Frankfurt – Split will operate once a week, on Saturdays, until October 17th. The company operated on this line 4 times a week in August, and 3 in September. Line Munich – Split will operate four times a week, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, until October 24th. Line Frankfurt – Zadar will operate once a week, on Saturdays, until October 24th. It is one flight less per week compared to September, and two compared to August. Line Frankfurt – Pula will run until October 17, once a week on Saturdays. Here, too, there is one flight less per week than in September, and two less than in August. Line Frankfurt – Dubrovnik will operate once a week, on Saturdays, until October 17th. Lufthansa operated on this line 3 times in August and twice a week in September. Line Munich – Dubrovnik will operate four times a week, Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, until October 24th. Photo: Lufthansa The company will have in October 7 active lines according to Croatian airports, two less than in the previous month. Although the number of lines did not decrease significantly, it did occur large reductions in the number of weekly flights to Croatian destinations.last_img read more

Graft suspect’s office destroyed in AGO blaze

first_imgA fire that gutted the main building of the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) compound in Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta, has raised questions over ongoing investigations into high-profile graft cases led by the law enforcement body.The fire broke out on Saturday evening on the sixth floor of the building before quickly engulfing the entire structure. It lasted for more than 10 hours, according to the South Jakarta Fire and Rescue Agency.  It took 325 personnel and 65 fire engines to extinguish the flames at 5:30 a.m. on Sunday. He confirmed that the destroyed rooms included the office of Pinangki Sirna Malasari, a prosecutor who was recently named a suspect for allegedly accepting US$500,000 and meeting Djoko several times when the convict was at large abroad. The National Police arrested Djoko recently in Malaysia before transporting him back to Jakarta, 11 years after he fled Indonesia a day before the Supreme Court sentenced him to two years in prison for graft and ordered him to pay a fine of Rp 546 billion ($54 million).Read also: AGO looks into possible crimes in prosecutor’s alleged meetings with Djoko TjandraBurhanuddin said Pinangki worked for the AGO’s planning bureau before he was suspended recently during the investigation.“I would not say no to [forensics] lab findings, but the police investigation is still underway,” he said.The AGO’s supervisory unit previously said that Pinangki had committed an ethics violation by going on nine international trips to Singapore and Malaysia in 2019 without permission, allegedly to meet Djoko.The attorney general said no investigations would be interrupted and all activities from the destroyed building would be moved to the compound’s education and training building on Monday.The office also had to temporarily evacuate 25 detainees, who were originally held up at a separate building, to the South Jakarta District Attorney building to prevent them from being exposed to smoke from the fire.Aside from the Bank Bali case, the AGO is also investigating a corruption case on ailing state-owned insurer Jiwasraya, which, according to an audit by the Supreme Audit Agency (BPK), had  caused Rp 16.81 trillion in state losses, the largest amount of any case in the nation’s history. The office named 13 asset management companies and Financial Services Authority (OJK) official Fakhri Hilmi suspects, in addition to three former Jiwasraya executives.Read also: Thirteen companies, OJK official named suspects in Jiwasraya case”The AGO is now handling many big cases, one of them being the alleged bribery of prosecutor Pinangki. It’s not impossible that there were parties who planned to obstruct evidence stored in the building,” activist Kurnia Ramadhana from the Indonesia Corruption Watch (ICW) said.He said the fire should not be used as an excuse to halt the investigations, highlighting that the AGO had yet to disclose which parties allegedly bribed Pinangki.This is not the first time that the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) building – named a heritage building by the Jakarta administration – has caught fire. In 2003, the office’s control room, located next to the then-vacant office for the deputy attorney general, caught fire. The building also experienced two fires in 1979. (JP/Hengky Wijaya)This is not the first time that the 62-year-old building – named a heritage building by the Jakarta administration – has caught fire. In 2003, the office’s control room, located next to the then-vacant office for the deputy attorney general, caught fire. The building also experienced two fires in 1979.Manlian Ronald Simanjuntak, a civil engineer professor at Pelita Harapan University who studies fire safety, said that the fire was “fatal and cannot be tolerated”.He said the fact that the fire spread easily indicated there were flaws in the building’s design and safety, particularly in terms of fire compartmentation.”All this time the demand [for fire safety] has been high only with private buildings, while it’s been weak with government buildings, as shown by the many instances of fires in the latter,” he said, urging the government to review all buildings 40 years or older.Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Mahfud MD told a press briefing that the National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) and the AGO’s junior attorney for general crimes were working together to investigate the fire and review the building’s construction feasibility.Mahfud gave an assurance that all case files, including those on Djoko Tjandra, Pinangki and Jiwasraya, were safe, and so he urged against speculating.”The safety of the data and case dossiers has been ensured by the AGO, and I, as the coordinating minister, will also oversee this carefully and follow the developments. The cases involving prosecutor Pinangki or other prosecutors and officials, they have to proceed transparently and the government must not lie, hiding things in situations like this,” he said.Topics : The blaze hit at a critical time for the AGO, which is currently working on some of the largest corruption cases in the country. One of the cases involves Djoko Soegiarto Tjandra, a former businessman who has been convicted in the Bank Bali corruption case.Attorney General ST Burhanuddin told The Jakarta Post on Sunday that the building was the location of the human resources, legal and planning departments. The fire, he said, affected the intelligence office, but the office had a backup of its data elsewhere.”All case dossiers are safe,” Burhanuddin said, adding that evidence and case files were stored in two separate buildings.Burhanuddin did not dismiss the possibility of arson in an attempt to destroy evidence but he insisted that he would rather wait for the results of the ongoing investigation before jumping to conclusions.last_img read more

Second half free-kick gives Serbia victory over Costa Rica

first_imgAleksandar Kolarov’s brilliant second-half free-kick saw Serbia beat Costa Rica in their opening Group E contest on Sunday.The Serbs won the game thanks to captain Kolarov’s wonderful strike 11 minutes into the second half, the third direct free-kick already at this World Cup.Mladen Krstajic’s side held out comfortably thereafter in Samara to get their campaign off to a winning start, with Costa Rica lacking the cutting edge to really threaten their opponents.In a tight and evenly-matched first half, it was Costa Rica who created the best opening before the break, only for unmarked centre-back Giancarlo Gonzalez to head wastefully over the bar after a nicely worked short corner.Serbia controlled large parts of the opening 45 minutes, although the closest they came to actually breaking the deadlock was an acrobatic overhead kick from Aleksandar Mitrovic a minute before the interval.Mitrovic’s effort produced a smart reaction stop from Costa Rica goalkeeper Keylor Navas and despite the flag going up for offside, the Newcastle United forward’s audacious effort would in fact have stood had it gone in and been referred to VAR. Serbia really should have opened the scoring five minutes after the break, only for Mitrovic to fluff the chance, having been played clean through by Sergej Milinkovic-Savic’s astute pass.However, that miss was soon forgotten as Kolarov – who almost did not make the game after picking up a leg injury in the warm-up – beat Navas from distance.last_img read more

Wellington Superintendent Weiss answers questions on construction, school delay decision

first_img Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (6) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. -12 Vote up Vote down bubba · 260 weeks ago Cause mr weiss needs to retire, why did you wait to start constrution so late, and why didnt contractors work longer hours. Because there mindless people running our school board. Lets sell the old high school for nothing and then talk about renting it out. Yay wellington Report Reply 0 replies · active 260 weeks ago -2 Vote up Vote down why? · 260 weeks ago I still wonder why we are sinking so much money into Washington school. It is clearly a money pit and unnecessary! In 10 years as our population continues to decline, are we going to sell Washington for next to nothing after sinking a ton of money into it? Report Reply 0 replies · active 260 weeks ago -7 Vote up Vote down JustMe · 260 weeks ago Weiss said “….they are working for the same clients we are — our children.” Sorry, but you’re wrong. You work for the PARENTS of those children. Report Reply 0 replies · active 260 weeks ago +14 Vote up Vote down momofkids · 260 weeks ago Good Grief people, the lesson to be learned here, is that in life, some things throw us off schedule and it is more about how we handle those situations than the schedule itself. Life is short, enjoy an extra week or two of summer, I am sure that our kids will get the same amount of education this school year as they would starting on 08/18/2015. If you want to throw a fit about something, how about addressing the cuts that Sam Brownback has left us to deal with. At least make it something that matters. Report Reply 1 reply · active 260 weeks ago +12 Vote up Vote down fsdf · 260 weeks ago Could not have said it better. It seems like parents are not wanting their kids home a week or two longer. Enjoy these times with your kids. They won’t be kids long and be thankful that they are not be sent to school with the conditions that buildijng is in now and even other conditions that the schools could be in. Report Reply 0 Vote up Vote down MaryAnn Hennig · 259 weeks ago It was too early to start school in the first place! Report Reply 0 replies · active 259 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Washington Elementary multipurpose room as it looked on Monday.by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — The Monday deadline had arrived. While USD 353 administrators and teachers were busy preparing for the first day of class, originally scheduled for Tuesday, August 18, Washington Elementary looked like a war zone.It has been the summer of construction at USD 353 as upgrades are being made throughout the school district from the Security and Safety plan approved by voters in 2014.While there is ongoing construction at the three other elementary schools — Eisenhower, Lincoln, and Kennedy— none of them were having the issues that Washington was having at 1100 N. Washington.The issues at Washington were more pronounced because it is an older building. This summer, it was determined that the HVAC unit needed to be moved from the ceiling to the floor because the roof could no longer sustain the weight of the unit. The Wellington school board made two change orders including redoing the duct work. As a result, Washington was much further behind than the other schools in the construction process.On Monday, the school was far for inhabitable for school business. There was pink insulation littered in the multi-purpose cafeteria room. Books, furniture and school supplies were stacked high in available rooms in the hallways. Dust covered the landscape and fiberglass was in carpet. Washington Elementary teachers were sweltering in the August heat with no air conditioning on the horizon.It became obvious to anyone who stepped foot in the elementary school, that this school would not be ready.A school administrator’s meeting was held Monday around noon at the USD 353 and Wellington Superintendent Rick Weiss issued a press release shortly thereafter that the start of school at all USD 353 would be delayed a week.There have been several questions by the public at large especially about the late notice of the change, why the school administration decided to include the whole school instead of just Washington, and how the missed week will be made up.Sumner Newscow submitted 12 questions to Weiss via e-mail. His answers are featured below:1. Why was the whole school district called off instead of just Washington Elementary? Weiss — The Kansas State Department of Education allows two choices to schedule a school year — either attend 180 days or log 1,116 contact hours between teachers and students. Since USD 353 has 177 days in the negotiated agreement with the teachers that eliminates the 180 days so we have the hourly option.From that, KSDE requires the building with the least amount of hours logged as the official count of the district. Therefore we live with the lowest hour. Also, there were minor issues at Kennedy and Eisenhower that the extra time will help and there were items at Lincoln that needed addressed. It is anticipated this week will help complete all of those details and get everyone started together.2. How are you making up for the lost hours this week? Weiss — Yes, time adjustments are being considered to help make up for lost time. It will not require any changes in the times students get to school. Just an adjustment as to what time school/classes begins and ends. We are making it as painless as we can make it. Depending on the winter there are days later on that we can make up if necessary. If we can get back on Monday the return to normalcy should be sooner than later.3. Why did you wait until Monday to make this decision?  Weiss — We were assured by the WHH Construction (the contractor) Superintendent that all work would be completed and that school would be in session by Tuesday, August 18. It was decided to allow them that opportunity. The walk through was scheduled for Monday afternoon. That is when we would make that decision.4. Are there two sets of construction workers for this project? Weiss — Walz, Harmon and Huffman is the general contractor. They have many subcontractors working with HVAC, roofing, electrical, plumbing, etc.5. Some are questioning the timing of the construction. Why so close to school? Weiss — It was started after the 2014-15 school year ended in late May. There was some delay with the asbestos removal contract, but it was continually assured that things would be ready by August 18.6. The delay at Washington was two change orders. Can you explain what these change orders were and how did it delay the process? Weiss — Change orders were with the HVAC in bringing rooftop units to the ground as that was better for the support mechanism on the roof. That required more duct work and other electrical work.7. Will the construction workers be penalized for not making deadline? Weiss — At the end of the project there is a sum of money that will be held until all of the project is accepted by the board. The possibility exists of liquidated damages but at this time those issues will be decided at a later date.8. What will happen if Washington Elementary is still not ready in a week? Weiss — Once again, assurances have been made that building will be ready but contingency plays are being made if it isn’t. Those plans have not been finalized as of Tuesday, the 18th.9. What still needs to be done for Washington to be safe enough to return to school? Weiss — Insulation needs to be put back above the ceiling. HVAC, ductwork and electric work need completed. We also need a very good and thorough cleaning. That will begin to be addressed by bringing a professional cleaner in at the contractor’s expense.10. What about Lincoln? There were rumors that Lincoln Elementary was not ready either? Weiss — Lincoln needs finishing work in the office area, some electrical work in the office area and a cleaning everywhere. There has been construction and dust remains. That will also be addressed with the professional cleaner.11. Do you anticipate other delays as construction continues throughout the year? Weiss — We certainly hope not, but that depends on the weather and other unforeseen circumstances at this point.12. Mayor Shelley Hansel said the city inspector was not going to issue a certificate of occupancy at the end of the day on Monday. Was that part of the decision making process? Weiss — We certainly appreciate the help of the mayor and the City Building Inspector as they are working for the same clients we are — our children. Our decision was made at the end of last week on how we would proceed if the buildings were not ready. We were assured they would be and decided to give them to that point in time the opportunity to make that happen. So the answer is no but with the building inspector being the deciding factor, we will rely on his professional judgment if further delays are necessary. The contractor should be well aware of what the city building inspector requires for the building to be occupied.Follow us on Twitter.last_img read more